Subject: Re: UKNM: Web Connection Performance Testing
From: Nick Sellors
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:09:47 GMT

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:48:39 -0000, Robin Grant
<robinatmarketing [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

[Sam says: thanks for all the replies, that's probably enough individual companies for the moment, of course if anyone has salient points to make about this whole area...feel free.]

>Sam wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if anyone has or can remember the names (and
>>hopefully) URLs of companies who measure network performance of a
>>website?
>
>try http://webperf.zeus.co.uk/

For the record, the stats on this site are collated from testing
servers which some ISPs host for Zeus.

The top three in the UK (testing from the UK) are always Demon, GX
Networks and Easynet. Guess which three UK ISPs host the test
servers...

The tests done from the US (testing the UK-based web sites) are done
from a machine on UUNet's network. UUNet-based UK websites fill 9 of
the top ten machines in this category.[1]

The Zeus figures for "availability" are flawed because availability
of a server may have nothing to do with the ISP hosting it. For
instance, they (Zeus) test my employer's server for availability and
they never get 100% despite the server(s) concerned having had no
downtime whatsoever.

Bottom line, people - measuring ISPs performance is not an exact
science.

N.

[1] The other, the last time I looked at the results, being
http://www.uk.psi.net/

--
Nick Sellors http://www.derby.org/
Views expressed are mine and mine alone, not my employers