Subject: Re: UKNM: Web Connection Performance Testing
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:59:51 GMT

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 03:31:46PM +0000, Sam Michel wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has or can remember the names (and hopefully)
> URLs of companies who measure network performance of a website? I can't
> remember where I read about them, but there were at least a couple of
> companies who had accounts at numerous ISPs and would test download speeds
> for a client website at set intervals during days to make sure the site's
> performance was up to scratch.

I think getting any meaningful and consistent results from this would
be next to impossible.

Network performance between ISPs (even linx peers in the UK) is subject
to so many factors and you would have to carefully analyse traceroutes
to see where the bottlenecks are.

http://webperf.zeus.co.uk/ was a fairly serious attempt to do this
but reading their methodology page shows a lot of problems (which
at least they were honest enough to admit).

I think you would be wasting your time in doing this and have to accept
that network connections are generally slow, sites should be lightweight
and video etc. currently impossible.

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk http://www.pineal.com/

in the force if yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?