Subject: RE: UKNM: Whats next after Freeserve?
From: Glen Collins
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:57:57 GMT

Well, there's already a move towards free calls, with companies offering
free calls in a type of 'happy hour' environment in the UK. Free technical
help and all that stuff is also on the horizon / available for free ISP's -
although there is a risk of this type of pure pricing war collapsing the
market.

However, arguably the most significant move (in the ISP market anyway) will
be the OFTEL intervention which could well result in just the main telecoms
companies being able to continue with a free ISP offering in the medium to
long term as smaller telecoms/ISP's will not have the clout to be able to do
cost effective deals on interconnect revenues.

So, I would imagine that many of the smaller players in the market will
either fade away or be swallowed up by the major players as their call
revenues are slashed and they do not have the significant backing required
to sustain a strategy of making major loses now for long term customer
ownership value in the long term.

That said, the reason most of us are in this business is because no-one
knows what's around the corner - that's what keeps us on our feet!

Glen
Glen Collins
Digital Outlook Communications Ltd
2-4 Peterborough Mews