Subject: Re: UKNM: Whats next after Freeserve?
From: Paul Douglas
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:47:13 GMT

>Tim Dunton <timatglobalgold [dot] co [dot] uk> said:
>
>>I've been trying to work out what is going to be the next big thing after
>>Freeserve? Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be paid for ISPs where the
>>ISP pays you to use the service? Could it be free calls? Could it be flat
>>rate calls? Or is it nothing to do with access at all?

Perhaps we'll see a multi-tiered access system. For example, online
shopping sites are free to connect to and the cost is picked up by the
merchandiser; personal home pages and research sites may also be free;
access to content-rich sites such as CNN may then come at a nominal charge
for the information. It seems to me that we're still at the stage where, in
effect, people are being charged to walk down a street because they're not
spending money elsewhere in that street for its upkeep. Also, once the
larger brands start to recognise what an important addition to customer
service free Net access is (they can sell through the channel, communicate
with their customers, etc.) many may decide it's worth their while - for
valued customers, at least - to pick up the tab.

But, as Ray Taylor said, cable access (ADSL especially) will change all
that, though a "data-levy" system seems to be an increasingly discussed
idea.

Paul