Subject: Re: UKNM: Free ISPs and Loyalty Figures
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:35:54 GMT

Craig wrote (and I'm paraphrasing here):
>I think
>you will see an increasing number of people registering their own domains
>as a result which has much preference over the virtual servers Tim refers to.

>So my prediction for the future will be free connection ISPs offering much
>cheaper if not totally free domain name hosting.

I certainly hope this is true - the main reason I currently lack a domain
name is the way virgin.net makes this as difficult as possible. Currently
the only way to do this is to pay a virtual server for redirection of
traffic and email (and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay anyone just for
the privelege of a personalised number plate).

However, if free ISPs do this 'for free' I can guarantee it will include
some form of 'frame' (sites) and 'attachment' (email) advertising that still
makes it worthwhile to take the step up to the 'paid' version.

In fact, I can cite at least one working model of this - and here's one I
made earlier...
http://mondovision.u-k.ac

Tim Ireland
tim [dot] iatvirgin [dot] net