Subject: UKNM: Orange.net's poor customer service.
From: Ian Fenn (Chopstix)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:52:25 GMT

[Sam says: for the purposes of illustrating poor e-commerce customer service
this is fine, but everyone should bear in mind this is, albeit loosely, a
discussion forum for marketing. uk-consumer anyone?]

At the risk of being branded Mr Angry of Tooting, today I'd like to moan
about Orange.net.

A good six weeks or so I took delivery of the Orange Nokia 7110e
WAP-enabled phone. One of the first things I did was to order the
registration CD-Rom for Orange.net. This involves dialling 438 from the
handset and pressing 1.

Two weeks later the CDRom hadn't arrived, so I called Orange customer
services. Even though they didn't know what Orange.net was, they suggested
that I go through the registration procedure again.

Another two weeks later the CDRom still hadn't arrived so, after spending a
good hour on the phone to Orange Customer Services and Orange.net technical
support, I thrashed out the following e-mail to Orange:

>I have now been waiting a month for an orange.net CDROM. The waiting time
is meant to be ten working days. I've ordered it twice. I've spoken to
customer services at length, but nobody could help, referring me to the
automated 438 line yet again. I even rang the 50p-a-minute technical
support line, but they said they couldn't help either. If I've been charged
for that call, expect massive storms overhead. Please, please, please
ensure that a CDROM is heading in my direction and don't tell me I need to
wait another month, or even ten days. Thank you.

As you can see, I was a little frustrated.

I received the following non-sensical response this week:

>Thank you for your recent mail. I would like to advise you that the date
your Orange.net CD was made active was 14.02.2000. The authorisation code
will expire 15/03/2000. I hope the above information is of assistance.
Kind Regards Liz Customer Service

Given that this was no assistance whatsoever, I called Orange HQ and the
Chief Executive's office. They have just taken three days to tell me to go
through the registration procedure yet again.

My recent experiences with Orange and other companies seem to illustrate
that a reasonable standard of customer service is out of the question for
most on-line retailers and businesses. Or is it me?

(N.B. I have copied this e-mail to Orange in the hope that they might feel
the issue important to comment on)

All the best,
--
Ian Fenn