Subject: RE: UKNM: to the website designers out there
From: Robert Hamilton
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:05:45 +0100

Hi all,

I think that there's another issue: it's not that frames are, per se, a bad thing, simply that very often
they are badly used. I've seen the scenario below a few times, in various organisations:

Client: We're not happy with the navigation - it's not clear enough
Agency: Erm...Don't worry - we'll use (drum roll) FRAMES to sort it out!

Agency then 'framifies' the site, by nailing a frameset onto their original design.

There's a backlash against frames that don't work - and rightly so!

BTW I'm not really a web designer either!

On 01 May 1998 14:55, ross [dot] sleightatbmpinteraction [dot] com [SMTP:ross [dot] sleightatbmpinteraction [dot] com] wrote:
> 70% + of UK users have access to frames compatible browsers (NOP).
>
> Lowest common denominator is not always the best way to start designing.
>

> No contest imho (as long as you are prepared to do a text version of the
> site if really content heavy and don't use frames 'just for the sake of
> it'.)
>
> But I'm not a web designer - so disagree at will!
>
> Ross

Robert Hamilton

0973 989 208