Subject: Re: UKNM: Online Magic
From: David Bentley
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 12:21:31 +0100

All good fun on the OM side of life. Assimilation is a bit of a harsh
phrase I think. It is seen as a beneficial deal for both parties. OM is
'assimilating' the AGENCY office in London and AGENCY is 'assimilating' the
OM office in NY.

There are benefits for both companies and may compliment each other.

However this doesn't detract from a trend which is getting stronger, of US
buying up UK companies. You know why? well I see 2 main reasons:

- Money and Money

Money for companies who are floundering and unable to find the right profit
model for themselves - although hoping that profitability will be just
round the corner.

Money for the entrepreneurial spirits who set up the companies all those
years ago. Call me disillusioned but there are many MD's and shareholders
out there who are more than happy to cash-in prematurely for personal gain.

Anyway, I am leaving OM and off to do more interesting things.

DB

At 11:27 26/05/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Well it looks like Online Magic have now been completely assimilated by
>Agency.com.
>AGENCY.COM BUYS 100% STAKE IN ONLINE MAGIC FOR UNDISCLOSED SUM Bloomberg
>News May 25, 1998, 6:08 a.m. PT
>
>I wonder whether we will see more takeovers by US companies and UK companies
>all bought out or squeezed out.
>
>Toby Mason
>Community Producer
>Virgin Net