Subject: RE: UKNM: UK is leader in e-commerce
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:37:44 +0100

On Tuesday, May 18, 1999 2:21 PM, Sam Michel [SMTP:samatchinwag [dot] com] wrote:
> ...or at least that's what the headline in yesterday's London Metro paper
> read. I tried to find a link online for this story, but there doesn't seem
> to be a news archive at the website. I thought the headline was surprising,
> but then I read on...
>
> "British Telecom and Tesco are helping the UK lead the way in global
> Internet shopping, according to a survey published yesterday. The London
> School of Economics study found that the retail and communication giants
> were amongst the multinationals with the best ecommerce services on the
> Internet.

Sam, can you find out what they mean by best services? In essence there is no
technical reason why the European companies can't compete in terms of support,
features, design and price, which could be one interpretation of "best". If
"best" means "generating the most revenue/biggest cost savings" then I would be
surprised! I do, of course, hold out a candle that we can persuade European
companies to make the necessary investment in creating the best possible
solutions...

Robin

--
Robin Edwards