Subject: Re: UKNM: More webwashing
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 19:52:35 +0100

From: Sajid Mohammed <g23atrocketmail [dot] com> said:

>No! Sponsorship is emphatically *not* banner advertising! Let me cite
>a case study from AEP. O&M were working for IBM and decided to sponsor
>the business section on This is London. This makes sense because IBM
>in general has higher mindshare amongst crusty CEOs and CFOs than
>young cynical anti-ad netties, to borrow Ray's wonderful phrase!
>
>Industry average clickthough in the US (according to a recent O-A list
>posting) ATM is something like .5%. This campaign got something like
>17%. And don't tell me ROI with sponsorship is harder to quantify -
>it's as easy as you want to make it. If you can't tailor your solution
>to measure effectiveness, I'm not going to tell you for free!

....er, how do you click on a sponsorship, Sajid? Who cares. If they got 17%
CTR good luck to them. I'm all in favour of high click-through rates from
web ad banners _and_ clickable graphic sponsorship thingumies that create
cuddly feelings and mesh with their media but are no, not, definitely not,
absolutely nothing to do with banners (pass me a crucifix someone).

I don't wish to monopolise this side of the discussion, nor be the one to
argue in favour of the steam engine just as electric locomotion is on the
way. But let's get one thing straight. Banners are NOT an ideal form of
online advertising, but they are one that exists and can be made to work.

NMC/Adplan is working with various other agencies, media owners, and
advertisers to develop better forms, and better ways to use the existing
forms.

But remember that steam still does some jobs very well indeed.

Ray Taylor