Subject: Re: UKNM: DTV Industry: Is There One?
From: Ian Betteridge
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:43:27 +0000 (GMT)

Anna Pedroza wrote:
> I would be interested to hear what others on this list feel about the type
> of skills new media companies need to have in place and, in particular,
> whether the predicted culture clash between TV production and new media is
> likely.

The culture clash to me seems to be between "Internet on TV" and "better TV",
with NTL epitomising the former and Web TV the latter.

Personally I think that WebTV has actually got the better chance of succeeding
as a mass market consumer device, because it markets itself as a device that
makes TV better - and that's a concept that is easier to sell to current TV
viewers. The fact that you get 'real' internet access as well is just a bonus.
NTL, on the other hand, has to sell the Internet as a valuable service - which
is much more difficult.

Obviously, I'm only going on the demo's I saw at the Wired Sussex DTV event -
but unless NTL has a lot more up its sleeves, I think it'll have a tough time.