Subject: Re: UKNM: freeserve numbers - comments anyone?
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:23:55 +0000 (GMT)

Giles Turnbull wrote:

> Freeserve said this today...
>
> [..]
> In only eight weeks since its launch, Freeserve has attracted more than
> 475,000 accounts (*) making it the UK's fastest growing internet service
> provider (ISP). Freeserve has grown ten times faster than any UK ISP,
> with an average of 8,500 people joining the service every day.
>
> Over 40 per cent of Freeserve's customers are new to the Internet,
> logging on for the first time with Freeserve. Freeserve estimates that
> this represents an increase of more than 10 per cent in the number of
> people online in the UK (**).
>
> (*) 85 per cent of Freeserve accounts have been active in the last 30
> days.
> (**) Total number of UK dial-up accounts estimated to be approx 1.8
> million.
> [...]
>
> Soooo, whaddya reckon?

no surprises. I noticed that about 2 weeks after launch, they'd pulled
all the posters out of the windows in Dixons and PCWorld, presumably
because they were saturated. Anyone got any figures for
BT^H^HYahooClick.

And Sajid, what does this say about "the market of people who want to
get online and can't for a variety of reasons." that Interactive TV and
thin clients are supposed to crack?

I don't understand where this myth about slow growth of the net comes
from. The net is the fastest growing medium of all time. My belief is
that stripped down devices will get a few people online who don't have
pcs, but in the end will merely stimulate PC sales, as they demand the
services (RealVideo, Whatever) that deliver the content they expected
(the kind of interactivity they're shown in movies, adverts for WebTV
etc). But no problems there.

And as long as web houses who should know a lot better keep building
barriers to entry against people by using Flash exclusively(

www.action.co.uk ), this cannot change.

stefan
--
/**