Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Credit Card Fraud
From: James Downes
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:02:40 GMT

Duncan Clubb wrote:

> James Downes wrote:
>
> > Am I wrong in thinking that the problem with credit card fraud on the
> > net in 1999 is the volume of chargebacks?
> >
> > The oft missed risk, particularly for e-commerce sites is that so many
> > of the credit cards 'presented' don't actually exist. Our experience is
> > that up to 50% of cards presented come into this category, something
> > that we try to drill into the heads of our e-commerce clients who fulfil
> > on-line.
>
> In my experience, one of the first things that an online CC service does is
> check the card details for validity. The solutions that I have previously
> implemented would not even attempt to confirm a card that could not pass
> this simple test. Are you referring to sites that collect CC details and
> then process them offline?

No, whilst it is trivial to check the validity of CC numbers (Luhn's formula or
something), the problem is where cc details appear correct but aren't. These
are often not picked up because Address details are not regularly checked. In
addition there is the problem of Charge Back where visitors claim that their cc
has been fraudulently used. the classic example of the latter is when a charge
for a sex/gambling site is spotted by a spouse, and the user claims never to
have visited the site etc.

rgds

james downes
w: www.bdmedia.co.uk