Subject: Re: UKNM: peoplesound.com
From: Stewart Dean
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:35:16 GMT

At 19:00 24/11/99 +0100, you wrote:
>yet another site that brings up the 'if you're a Mac user we advise you not
>to use the site' - it won't let me in AT ALL.
>
>What's going on - have people forgotten how to build web sites or what?

<rant>

Old story.

Designer/Techie/Account Handler falls in love with technology X (say some
Javascript routine). Machine + browser Y is later found not to run X.
Rather than go back to simple but not so funky solution designer says 'well
only Z% of users cannot see it'. Creating two versions of the site is a
lot of hard work so ignored.

Now in real life can you imagine putting up a sign outside a store saying
'only women allowed' even if it sells items usable by men? I personally
remember the old netiquette saying 'if you don't do it in real life don't
do it on the net'.

A good producer can often stop this happening but I'm supprised how many
projects (or companies) fail to realise the what a producer actually is
there for. Think project manager/ information architect/technologist/jack
of all trades. Apparantly in some companies the account handler are also
project managers.

Lastly if you're serious about building web sites do at least some HCI
testing. If you've no idea what HCI means I suggest you leave site
production well alone.

</rant>
Stewart Dean - stewartatwebslave [dot] dircon [dot] co [dot] uk
-- for every off switch there's an on switch --
http://www.webslave.dircon.co.uk