Subject: RE: UKNM: Waitrose man in The Guardian
From: Niki Hunter
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:07:50 GMT

BearBox have done a lot of research into the whole area of security and have
had conversations with delivery companies, including the Post Office, all of
whom were more than happy with the security BearBox has put in place.

Reasons why security is not an issue:

1. Because every time a person opens the box an electronic signature is
transmitted to the BearBox server, the system is considerably more secure
than the current process other carriers use which usually involves asking
�someone� to sign for a package (assuming they are around) or just leaving
the package �round the back�. Both retailers and carriers have expressed a
preference for the BearBox electronic signature, since it more formally
�pins down� who has had access to the box and when (only the owner can open
it with his physical key).

2. Each BearBox has a tamper alarm installed, which issues an audible
warning, and also notifies the server that unauthorised access has been
attempted.

3. If there was a second delivery into a box before it was collected by the
owner, we would know who had had access to the box and when. Again,
retailers and carriers like this model.

4. If a retailer is sending a valuable item, he can �book out� the box,
meaning that no other deliveries can be made until it is collected by the
owner. The owner can also set this feature as a preference.

5. In order to break into a box (which is as difficult to break into as most
cars), the thief would have to trespass a person�s property (in most cases
during daylight hours) with some kind of tools. In addition, unlike a car,
where you can often see, say, a mobile phone, on a seat, he/she wouldn�t
know what was in the box. Later versions may also have mini camera�s
installed as additional security support.