Subject: Re: UKNM: Price matching
From: Steve Johnston/IMRG
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:55:14 +0100

Nick Sweeney <nsweeneyatjesus [dot] ox [dot] ac [dot] uk> on 07/10/98 19:52:30
Please respond to uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com
To: uk-netmarketing <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
cc:

>Consider CDNow: their recently-launched European warehouse has, I'd
>suggest, placed them at a marketing disadvantage on this side of the
>Atlantic. What you gain in delivery charges, you lose in having to pay
>local VAT, and from having to deal with local pricing structures.

> <snip> a risk-assessment on whether the import gets taxed on entry.

>(Recent reports suggest that packages from Amazon, CDNow and others are no
>longer able to pass through Customs so freely. More reason to have friends
>in the US.)

Nick,

Getting away with the non-payment of VAT is hardly a robust model for the
growth of this marketplace. CDnow realise now that the responsible -
ignoring the legality for the moment - behaviour is to charge VAT. You may
be forgetting that the consumer 'knows' of course that they pay VAT, but
'forget' to think about it, and frankly are ignorant of the requirements of
international trade and therefore assume that a price includes VAT, as it
does in the UK. You're right that CDnow are not stupid, they realise that
their customer's perception of them will be somewhat diminished by the DHL
bill that arrives a week or so later for the missing VAT and Duty - not to
mention for DHL's handling charge.

CDnow's other significant benefit from their European distribution will be
a saving of at least a day in transport time, which doesn't sound like much
but it matters.

Regards,

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
IMRG ( Interactive Media in Retail Group)
+44 (0)7000 46 46 74