Subject: Re: UKNM: Half of UK sites are "broken"
From: David Bentley
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:52:55 +0100

>I am astounded at how much negligence is accepted in regard to site
>maintenance.

It should never be acceptable to have broken links/typos etc....

>When quoting for a job, a major proportion would/ should/ does cover
>browser testing, code optimisation, platform compatibility, link testing
>etc.

Indeed - but historically in the UK the need to win business has
conveniently 'allowed' agencies to strike that bit from the budget to be
more competitive - and the clients don't know better.

>It really isn't that hard to maintain a site, (quality Project manager
>anyone?), especially with the tools available today.

It is all about money most of the time - no budget; no QA.

>What really gets my goat is when I see a site, think - wish I had done
>that, then visit the design co's own site only to find that it's totally
>unwebworthy. Makes you think how did they get the job in the first place.

I kinda disagree - i have seen some companies (not mentioning names) who
have great sites for their own company but have underdelivered on client
projects (by comparison). And I have seen companies with turgid site who
have created some of the best sites of the past few years.... then of
course there are the copanies who have sites which TRUELY reflect their
production values. It could be possible that if a company has the time (or
money) to re-design their website every 3 months then it may have too many
available resources (thus maybe leaking money). As an example <RIP> Online
Magic's </RIP> website didn't change (in the main) for 3 years.

>Once again I put this forward - This industry NEEDS regulation.
>Even self-regulation will suffice.

The industry doesn't need regulation though it may need associations - its
regulation will be determined by contracts. The clients will soon be wise
enough to know what they want and pay for it or not. Sink or Swim.

David

David Bentley
Account Director, Interactive
Anderson&Lembke