Subject: Fast bandwidth was: Re: UKNM: Free ISPs Vs. Paying ISPs (Don't Mention Dixons)
From: azeem azhar
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:48:41 +0100

At 19:37 06/10/98 +0000, Nick Sellors wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 15:27:39 +0100, azeem azhar
><azeem [dot] listsatbigfoot [dot] com> wrote:
>
>>As for super-fast, you'll be sorely disappointed with bonded-ISDN
>
>That depends on the ISP you're using - I easily fill my two channels
>here at home to most locations[1]

sorry. 128kbit per second is not "super-fast"; you can't get full motion
video down it; you still see fairly slow downloads (we are talking 10-14k
per second; if your hard drive worked at that rate . . .)
4 megabit/s, perhaps that is fast; 10, maybe then you are talking.

sorry this isn't a bandwidth dick swinging debate, but we do not to put it
into perspective.

128kbit/s opens up a few more applications (like jolty videoconferencing)
and makes web surfing moderately bearable, but it's no business
maker/breaker. here is what does:

1. always on, unmetered connectivity (even at low bit rates)
2. globility: globally available, always on connectivity.

(i'd take 1 and 2 at 14k4 over metered 128k in most circumstances)