Subject: Re: UKNM: Free vs paid for ISPs
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:46:34 +0100

From: Jim Sterne <jsterneattargeting [dot] com>

>You're right, Corporal, but there's another reason this
>discussion falls into the silly bin. "Free" means that
>I filled out a form. "Free" means the ISP knows a lot
>about me - like where I surf and what I click on. My
>ISP has more clickstream data about me that anybody else.
>
>Now THAT is spinning copper wires into gold for advertisers.
>
>Hello? Yes, I'd like to show my banner to people who live
>within five miles of any Uncle Whimpies Upscale Shrimp
>Palace, who hang out on football Web sites and have been
>shoppping for a new car. My banner just happens to be an
>opportunity to win a new Range Rover and a pair of tickets to
>the next World Cup with every purchase of Uncle Whimpies
>Cajun Popcorn.

Nice idea. If and when any of the free services (in the UK) can do this,
please drop me an off-list note. You have to fill in a form to get ft.com -
they don't do it, you have to fill in a form to get all sorts of things, not
least the services you pay for. But can (UK) ISPs target by locality? None
that I know of.

Look forward to seeing Dixons' rate card.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan +44 181 639 0015
Other people talk about banner advertising, we just do it