Subject: Re: UKNM: A quick Language question (long- non fiction)
From: Jim Sterne
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:11:59 GMT

At 09:16 AM 10/26/98 , Chris Locke wrote:
>A flock of EF logos.
>On the backpacks of language students.
>Moving slowly down Oxford Street like a lazy cloud.

Psuedo Hiku aside...

At 09:18 AM 10/26/98 , manouatpostmaster [dot] co [dot] uk wrote:
>Do they really speak English in the US?? Just kidding...

A single people separated by a common language.

At 09:20 AM 10/26/98 , Felix Velarde wrote:
>if it's for a translator and s/he were only able to translate into
>American English, then use an American flag. Otherwise, best to use
>both, even if that requires an animated icon.

I believe that was "moderation in all things," not
animation...

Here's an exchange I had a few months back about the
same issue which I wrote about thusly:
I actually have been involved in a debate at a recognizable, but
please-don't-tell multi-national company asking me for advice on whether their
home page should be English or American.