Subject: Re: UKNM: A quick Language question
From: carlo andrea pattacini
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:12:04 GMT

hi Neelesh,

why don't you suggest your friend just to choose
another metaphor?

I've seen too many sites with flags as icons to
choose language.

I think that as a navigator can enter a site not only
in the home page (think of the search engines links),
so the ability to choose language must be given in
every page.

Given this, I think that the best way to let user
choose language is a simple combo box. This also let
you add other language without cluttering your site
with so many flags as an international exhibition
building.

hope this helps
bye, andrea

---Neelesh Sonawane <neeleshatblue-d [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

> An American friend is in a dilema. He is designing
a site for a translator
> and represented the English language with an
American flag. I pointed out
> that it may anoy some English folks so now he is at
a twist as to what to
> do.
>
> So, would any of you feel insulted/patronised if
English was represented by
> the American flag?
>
> I suggested either doing a pshop job to combine the
flags half/half or use
> the wording "International English". Any better
ideas?

http://www.blue-d.demon.co.uk