Subject: Re: UKNM: Three cheers Amazon UK
From: Nick Sweeney
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 15:28:47 +0000 (GMT)

> > But I think the thing that impressed me most was the integrated invoice
> > and address label, printed on a single sheet of A4 so that the label,
> > complete with barcode, could be peeled off and stuck on the package.
> > Online commerce is all about the back end logistics.
>
> Re: VC stuff
> If I remember rightly, this was all there when it was plucky UK-startup
> BookPages. As was the vastly superior(to amazon US) search capabilities.
> But would anyone invest in them in the UK?

It is -- as Sam suggested -- now identical to the system used by Amazon in
the US, which is the one I've used. I'd be interested to see how it works
when I buy a US edition from Amazon UK.

> > Well as an exercise in building brand equity, the customer service
> > aspects of the transaction were far more influential than the last
> > banner (button) ad I saw for Amazon which said: "Books about +UK +rail
> > +e...."

It's experiential, though, isn't it? You can't *advertise* good back end
stuff and customer service, I'd argue, through traditional media; you
*can* encourage further purchases, once you've demonstrated to the
customer that your system worked.

> Amazon's co-branding,
> co-marketing initiatives (everything from the virgin.net deal to the
> little link sites you can build to them) have been ground-breaking.

The "affiliates" scheme, in particular, has locked into the personal
website culture perfectly. It makes me wish, in a way, that I could go to
my nearest high-street bookshop and demand commission on all the books
I've recommended to my friends in past years. They've done well out of me.

Nick
--
http://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/~nsweeney/head/
"A letter always arrives at its destination." - Jacques Lacan