Subject: UKNM: Banner ads served by Scoot
From: Kevin Rice
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 00:08:31 +0100

Dear all,

In Febuary 1998 we registered for a preferential listing in Scoot`s online
directory. Our website advertises our internet training courses and so we
were entered into Scoot's "Computer Training" directory. The contract was
for one year, but our listing was not very effective, in terms of lead
generation, and so we did not renew our subscription in Feb 99.

Today we looked to see if we were still listed amongst the rank and file of
non-paying organisations. We were, and out of interest we clicked on the
link that Scoot provided to our website. We were then very surprised to see
that an additional frame had been added to the top of our site and within
this frame was an advert for Waitrose!

Clearly we have not authorised Scoot to place banner adverts next to our
content and so we called them to try and establish the reason/justification
for displaying the banners. There followed a long and very confused
conversation with a Scoot representative.

The conversation went something like this (only the text in "quotes" relates
to exact phrases used)

----------------------------
connexity)
Why are you placing ads on our site?

Scoot)
You mean the Scoot button?

connexity)
No, I mean the third party adverts at the top of our page.

Scoot)
Well, we got your details from a data mining company and that's why you are
listed in our directory.

connexity)
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking what permission you have to serve
third party ads alongside the content of our site?

Scoot)
Oh, well I had better speak to the web people, just a minute.

Scoot)
OK, I see what you mean now. "It's nothing to do with Scoot, it's a bug on
the internet!"

connexity)
A bug on the internet? (trying not to laugh). Is it just affecting our site?

Scoot)
No, lots of sites have been affected. Banners have been appearing where they
shouldn't all over the internet.

connexity)
I see, so it's some kind of virus that you are working to solve?

Scoot)
Yes, that's right. The problem should be fixed soon.
-----------------------------

There seemed little point continuing the conversation at that point!

I thought that members of the list should made be aware of this 'virus' that
apparantly infects directory services. It can have the nasty side effect of
earning money for infected sites, whilst passing on no revenue to the sites
which actually display the banners! Apparantly, when infecting the Scoot
site, the virus has only managed to place banner adverts on sites that have
free listings!

If future versions of this virus are developed then companies listed within
Scoot's directory may find Scoot shopping baskets displayed alongside their
content. Of course once again, this would have nothing to do with Scoot
themselves, they would just be innocent victims of an internet bug!

Kevin Rice
connexity limited