Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast-loading sites
From: Phil Gyford
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:00:59 +0100

At 12:21 pm -0400 1999-10-14, Lee Rickler wrote:
>28k modem!! errr .. yeah okay. Even my mum has a faster modem than that!!

a) This implies you don't care about anyone who has a 28k modem.
b) I'm on a 56k modem but have yet to achieve a connection greater
than 28k. Similarly, when I was in the UK I had a 33.6 which never
got about 26.4 connection. Not a lot I can do about it, but obviously
such situations don't seem to abe a concern of yours.

>Anyway ... the whole point of what I am saying, that's if we are on
>the same wavelength, is that design and build should be to the
>viewers choice. Sorry but it just seems so obvious to me that if you
>can get away with, (as in - viewers are happy/ served/ informed
>etc.), planting as much info on a page as you need then why stick to
>something else?

There's a difference between planting lots of info on a page and
overloading it with unnecessary stuff. If your primary concern is to
efficiently present lots of info, you wouldn't have some of it
embedded in a 64k scrolling gif
<http://www.djindex.com/img/sacr_text.gif>. I'm sure you have had
plenty of great comments from people about the site, but isn't there
a chance that those who don't like it will just go somewhere else
rather than email you, especially if they couldn't be bothered to
wait for the page to download?

When I was at Capital Interactive I don't recall receiving any
feedback from users about our pages being too slow after the site was
redesigned in Nov 98. But that doesn't mean I thought the site was
great. In fact it was one of the most appallingly slow sites I could
find when I did a little survey for myself (some pages took at least
2 minutes to load). I can't check the figure now, as their DNS has
been screwed for months now, and it's impossible to see *any* of
their sites from here.

Try going to http://www.websitegarage.com/ and see what it has to say
about the size of your page.

>Basically my answer to most of what Phil says, in my best Jerry
>Springer participants' favourite saying, is ... "Whatever"

Excellent defence, Lee.

>I like it and all the visitors, bar Phil, are contented. So it stays
>the way it is until we redesign the whole site which will be in
>about 4 months time.

Jumping to conclusions a little. Insert the words "who emailed us"
after the word "visitors".

_
philatgyford [dot] com / tel:281-990-9319 / icq:3794783
http://www.gyford.com / http://www.haddock.org
_