Subject: Re: Loosemore's law (was UKNM: Fast-loading sites)
From: Chris Locke
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:42:26 +0100

At 04:43 PM 10/18/99 +0100, you wrote:
> [...]

the problem is also the *perception* of delay as much as the delay itself.

users using cashpoint ATMs regularly experience a few seconds between
selecting how much they hope they've got in their account and getting their
money. when I see a plain piece of text, I presume that the delay is
technological. But the few times I've seen an ad for a loan displayed
during this break, I've a)perceived the time a longer and b)blamed the ad
for the further delay.

Equally, if I'm dowloading a site and I can't see bugger all becuase my
screen is filled with empty image cells or, heaven forbid, a loading flash
app, I get way more impatient and blame the images/flash. If I'm
downloading a site which is less bloated, I can see more of it and can make
the decision about whether I want to wait or not, and I'm also more likely
to suspect that I have a slow connection. In this situations I always call
up news.bbc.co.uk as a standard-bearer, as I view this often and it loads
fast.

summary - bloated design = perceived longer download times and increased
intolerance