Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast-loading sites
From: chris
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:15:01 +0100

At 10:36 27/10/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm not trying to advocate Front Page here, but rather the concept behind
>it. The basic differentiation lies within the kind of site you are producing
>and whether you are a novice building your personal web site or a net
>professional.
>
>Software like Front Page has been substantial in creating all those
>'communities' - essentially the private web sites covering every possible
>aspect known to humanity. Any average user is now able to go web, which is
>great; with a Wysiwig tool there is no need to bother about code - FP will
>even adapt all your links if you rename files, directories or even if you
>move your files. You can't expect people to learn HTML when there is no need
>to. The learning process occurs as users want to perform changes beyond the
>scope of their software.

It's actually been more of a curse to communities. the very 'sitemapping'
and link adaption feature you mention has screwed up sites when users
publish them directly from Front Page to their free webspace - in fact,
only Tripod (I think) actually supports direct uploads from Front Page.

Lots of users use things like Tripod's Trellix Web, which is a good free
download WSIWIG editor, but best for my money is the awesome Java
page-builder from Geocities. All sites offer superb HTML learning
environments for users.

I've taught hundreds of users to create HTML, whether for personal fun or
as students training for industry. None of them (from 18 year-olds to
grannies) ever found HTML hard, and in fact enjoyed the moment of
completeing their HTML code in notepad or simpletext. When using
dreamweaver/fp or other WSIWIGs later they all felt the early insistence on
hard-coding sadistic of me, but realised why it was useful, nay essential.

Virtually all communities rely on straight FTP uploads, even if hidden in
the WSYWIG environment. It's the ridiculous, stupid "vi/cnf" or whatever
folder and the way it creates directory structures when users import images
that screws most Front Page uploads. and the code's bloated.