Subject: UKNM: Accruing value as a freelancer
From: Lois Grayson
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:38:57 +0100

Steve

Pensions, yes v good point. Got nothing to sell at the end of it? True
Accrual? Looking ahead? Depends on what you think life is about - if it's
about piling up money for a time when you're too knackered to really enjoy
it then yes build a business you can sell on and live life now inside your
office at clients' beck and call/shareholders whims/market perfidity to do
so. Oh by the way then you die. I know so many people who talk of 'escape
velocity'; they'll accrue enough money and then go somewhere warm and write
a book. Tomorrow and tomorrow....

Accruing value to me means giving and taking, learning, connecting and
growing, living to benefit me and everyone I meet. And finding out where my
life is going next through intuition not (socially conditioned) judgement.
Why do we all need to plan out our lives to the nth degree? We all have this
tendency to chastise ourselves for yesterday's mistakes and to worry about
tomorrow. We spend more time yearning and coveting and thinking life would
be better with a bigger house/car/new lover/whatever than we do enjoying
this here now. It creates jealousies and anger when we don't get what we
think we deserve and we can get ourselves into a constantly anxious state
that we then seek to alleviate with pills/booze/sex/whatever.

My approach is to trust my life, knowing that the universe will provide, and
to enjoy every single moment I've got this time around as it occurs as best
I can. It's an interventionist approach - why plan for illhealth in old age
when you can enjoy keeping fit?

Find out what makes you happy and do it now! And if it stops making you
happy do something else that does. It doesn't mean ignoring life's
practicalities or giving responsibility for your welfare over to someone
else - but you can just as easily accrue 'material' value with a good
pension and a unit trust (a mortage helps too) but you won't be rich - plan
it out, set it up and then forget about what might happen and enjoy now.

Jeez I feel like the only ancient soul on the list

Lois