Subject: Re: UKNM: Linking to sites
From: Zing!n Media
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:01:56 +0100

Having spoken to some legal friends of mine, I think I can explain the
linking situation as it currently stands in UK law. I`m still no expert
though so if there are any lawyers on here, a second opinion would be
useful.

Basically, there is no UK legal precedent for providing simple text links to
a web site's home page so, unless a site owner objects, you are ok to link
to anyone you like. After all, if this type linking was a problem, sites
like Altavista and, of course, Zingin would be open to a whole lot of
trouble.

You may hit problems if you frame the content to pass off as your own or
link to a page within someone else's site (although lots of news aggregators
couldn`t survive without deep links) - and it's always a good idea to ask
the site owner for permission just to cover your back.

If you want a proper legal opinion (complete with cases), try
http://mirrored.ukoln.ac.uk/lis-journals/dlib/dlib/dlib/april98/04orourke.ht
ml or http://ahds.ac.uk/bkgd/copyrightfaq.html#faq21

I`n not sure about the trademark infringement question of mentioning the
site's name but, AFAIK, you won`t get into trouble as long as you don`t
suggest a (non-existent) association with the linked-to site (i.e don`t use
logo's or words like "partners".

Bottom line: You can link to sites provided you tell the webmaster, you're
not slagging them off, don`t claim to have a partnership arrangement with
them and only link to their home page.

Hope that is of some help.

Paul

==

Paul Carr
Managing Editor

Zingin.com - The UK's finest internet guide.
http://www.zingin.com

Zingin Mail - FREE from http://www.zingin.com
Making the web worth surfing.