Subject: Re: UKNM: Viral marketing
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:32:59 +0100

<jasonatloquax [dot] com> commented on what
Jonathan Phillips wrote:
> > Plus, we haven't had a single complaint or even query from thousands of
> > referrals.

<snip>
> But in an industry that is very anti spam - don't you think it's kind of
> ironic that the only way people seem now to be able to market their
> sites is to get their users to spam for them.
>
> It's like taking the responsibility away from the site owner and
> encouraging "spam by proxy" regardless of whether it's sent with a
> personal greeting, flowers and on a silver platter?
>
> And do people complain anyway?
>
> Most of the crap I get sent gets deleted immediately - i'd be
> emailing a fair while if I complained about them.

Well said, Jason - this whole 'but nobody complains' defence is pissweak at
best. Regardless of what action a web user takes against Spam, the fact
remains that they *hate* the stuff - do you really want their exposure to
your brand tarnished in this way?

Walk into any pub and hand out business cards to complete strangers. Be
friendly at all times and maybe even shout a few drinks. Chances are that
while no-one will complain, everyone will think that you're a tosser.

> Someone asked what the alternative was - I don't know - but it
> would be nice for people to perhaps think and come up with
> something original.

Working on it.

;o)

Tim Ireland
Director of Marketing
www.designercity.com

PS - It should be noted that Jason runs one of the best competition portals
in the UK and has seen thousands of comps come and go. Basically, he knows
what the f**k he's talking about.