Subject: RE: UKNM: Dead email accounts
From: Gary Pharo
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:27:48 +0100

> What I would like to know is at what point does this occur with free
> Internet email addresses? A user could switch from one free email account
> to another and emails would just continue to pile up in the in-box without
> an 'unknown recipient' response issued. Do hotmail/ talk21/ yahoo
> etc. draw
> the line when they see full email boxes and cancel the account?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Gray

Andy

For our part, (and that's 17+milllion active users worldwide) we allow our
client to specify a time of non-use, after which the mailbox can be closed.
Failing this, once a mailbox has reached it's capacity (6mb with us), we
will bounce incoming mail.

I know that Hotmail operates on similar principals, but cannot really speak
for anyone else.

Even with these guidelines, I could open a mailbox today and never visit it
again, so on that basis - even if there was an 'inactive account' level at 2
months, it would take that long before you got a bounce.

In essence, don't buy lists - this is tantamount to spam anyway. If someone
opts-in for a newsletter, you can be pretty sure that they want it until
they un-subscribe - and if they move and find it of use, they will
re-subscribe under their new address.

Hope this helps ;o)

Gary

Gary Pharo
UK Sales Manager
www.commtouch.com
gary [dot] pharoatcommtouch [dot] com (mailto:gary [dot] pharoatcommtouch [dot] com)
The Worldwide Leader in Integrated Email and Messaging Outsourcing Services