Subject: Re: UKNM: Linking to sites
From: Sam Carrington
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:46:13 +0100

If they can find the paragraphs or sections which identify exectly how
and why it contravenes the act I will be amazed. Contained below some
extracts and a URL for the full act...

Given the definitions of personal data and sensitive personal data
below, it is hard to say how linking contravenes the act.

I am not a lawyer. But I know how webservers work; unless you are
passing:

HREF="http://www.competitor.com/?name=John&surname=Doe&address1=999%20Letsby
%20Avenue&address2=XX1%201XX&race=white&vote=green&church=LDS&union=NASUWT&l
astSectioned=1995&CCJ=1"

within the HREF to the competitor, I cannot see what personal data is
being transferred or revealed. The above would identify a user, but that
user would be foolish to give a site owner that info without very good
reason and the site owner would be manifestly incompetent if they
included it as plaintext in any URL query.

email addresses could be considered personal data, but it is the site
owners choice what is contained in any URL request after the question
mark. If you arent transferring the email address in either the HREF or
the referring page, you are not using or misusing any personal data.

IMHO

#############

"personal data" means data which relate to a living individual who
can be identified-

(a) from those data, or
(b) from those data and other information which is in the
possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of,
the data controller, and includes any expression of opinion
about the individual and any indication of the intentions of
the data controller or any other person in respect of the
individual;

[ ... snip ... ]

2. In this Act "sensitive personal data" means personal data consisting
of information as to-

(a) the racial or ethnic origin of the data subject,
(b) his political opinions,
(c) his religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature,
(d) whether he is a member of a trade union (within the meaning
of
the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act
1992), (e) his physical or mental health or condition,
(f) his sexual life,
(g) the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence,
or
(h) any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to
have
been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or
the
sentence of any court in such proceedings.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980029.htm

--
sam carrington // senior web developer // sensei.co.uk