Subject: UKNM: Will PR folk do *anything* to get coverage??
From: Andrew Smith
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:02:57 +0100

Well, if US PRs are anything to go by - yes. Thoughts anyone?

Full story here -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7115-2000Oct14.html

>>>Weingarten called up 15 PR agents and told them he would write nice
things about a client if they told him something humiliating about
themselves that he would also print. As he put it, most of them "leaped
at the chance to mortify themselves in print in return for a few meager
lines of positive ink for their clients.">>

>>>I explained my proposal to Lisa H. Morrice, 44, a PR agent from
California: I will write glowingly about her client's pillows if she will
tell me something really humiliating about herself that I will also print.

(A colleague of mine had been skeptical of this gambit: PR folks may be
desperate, he reasoned, but they have their dignity.)

Just how glowingly, Lisa wondered.

Very, I said.

"My husband dumped me for a younger woman," she said.

At this moment, I gave my doubting colleague a cheerful thumbs up.

"She was a blonde," Lisa continued. "A secretary. And I'm not ugly! And .
. . " Lisa showed no signs of stopping, until I informed her she'd made
the cut.

Lisa represents Houles, Europe's largest manufacturer of trimmings,
fabrics and decorative accessories. Houles has a new line of richly
colored, lavishly textured pillows that, in my professional judgment,
provide an exciting, affordable ensemble for any living room or den.
They're available locally at Calico Corners in Rockville.<<<