Subject: RE: UKNM: 'higher levels of depression and loneliness'
From: steve bridger
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:01:18 +0100

>What is more concerning outside of methodological arguments is that the
>story was picked up world-wide and became another cudgel to beat the medium
>with. Mass market interpretation of this story surely sets the whole
>education process back a few steps?

Just caught up with this discussion after the flu ...

Scott Rosenberg offers his opinions on the Carnegie Mellon study ...

http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/rose/1998/09/03straight.html

The BBC quoted Prof Kraut[sic] on his two-year study [God, that's
depressing ...]

"Even though people are only using the Internet socially they are giving up
something in order to do that. What they may be giving up is more authentic
social relationships in their real lives,"

I thought that we [especially teenagers - of which I am not] were
logging-on + watching less telly, rather than ignoring our friends - at
least that's what I've read.

Steve Bridger
Senior Consultant, Voluntary Sector
ON-LINE PUBLISHING LTD