Subject: Re: UKNM: hosting
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:22:12 +0100

We've been with PSInet for six months or so, and I'm very happy with them.
They run a real Trouble Ticket system on their help desk, and it is a
"proper service", as Aidan asks. We colocate our servers in PSI's
Telehouse facility, and I have to say that Telehouse is excellent in terms
of 24 hour/7 day access, not that we actually go in there very often.

We also have some service out of the US, and at one point we were running
parallel services out of US- and UK-based servers. Although our US server
was on a shared T3 (ie 45Mbps), users in the UK were getting much slower
download times off the US-based server than the UK-based one. So now we
bite the bullet and pay the higher UK prices. However, I have to say the
one or two quotes I got did for US-based colocation did not seem that much
lower than the UK when insisting on a "serious connection", by which I mean
1.5 Mbps or above and only a couple of hops from the core. I know the leased
lines are way cheaper in the US, but we colocate everything so we don't
have any big pipes.

Cheers
Sean

>Does anyone on the list use an ISP for hosting who they would heartily
>recommend as providing:
>
> - excellent speed
> - reasonable price
> - efficient support
> - no really, decent support who know what they're on about
> - good peering
> - a proper service (okay this is a very broad description, but I
> bet you know what it is when you find it).
>
>If anyone has seen this holy grail, I would be grateful for advice. In
>fact, I would settle for a response from anyone who is completely happy
>with the service they receive.
>
>NB: ISP's need not respond. I'm sure if you're good enough, one of your
>clients will give you a hearty endorsement.
>
>thanks,
>
>Aidan
>(Sense Internet)

Sean Phelan seanatmultimap [dot] com http://www.multimap.com
phone (within UK): 0171 433 0460 fax (UK): 0171 209 5194
phone (Int'l): +44 171 433 0460 fax: +44 171 209 5194