Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Ross Sleight
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:09:16 +0100

Ben Wrote:

>None of the figures ICE quotes
>make any sense and include factors that destroy the basis under which they
>are made. One example - during Q2 98 Amazon bought Bookpages, IMDb and
>Telebook Inc. These exceptional items (purchases of companies are always
>exceptional items to some extent) account for at least $5m of that loss.
>Losses after Exceptional items bear no resemblance to operational costs
>(i.e. cost of sale or the amount of money spent processing the order).

>If the ICE report was of any worth simple errors like that one could have
>been avoided (Amazon made an operational loss of $11m in the quarter and
>that is the figure they could accurately work from). By, clearly, selecting
>only figures that emphasis the point they want to make, rather than suitable
>figures I can only treat the report as worth the paper its printed on (and
>I'm not going to print it out).

As I said - a lot of kerfuffle about the report! Thankyou Ben and Ray for
pointing out many of the report's faults. I suppose it was incidental to
the actual thrust of the argument but this is a good thread in its own
right.

I took a look at the SEC filings for Amazon - they make interesting reading
at :http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/0000891020-98-000448.txt
(or search on http://www.sec.gov) They show that Amazon spent �38m in
Advertising in 1997 and they currently have a circa $70 per user acquisition
cost (Jupiter figure). They have a Net Sales total for 97 which is
$147,758,000 and a cost of sales of �118,945,000. I think that the SEC
details may provide you with the breakdown you need Ray. Did ICE have access
(or use) the SEC figures?

Ross