Subject: Re: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:08:54 +0100

At 15:28 22/09/98 +0100, Ian Betteridge wrote:
>>The last legal action I recall on this subject did suggest something along
>>these lines although I don't know whether it would stand up now. The
>>alternative scenario, which I may well have to now put in place is for each
>>person signing up to the list to be sent terms and conditions for use of
>>the list with a much more tightly defined list policy. I've seen this done
>>on a couple of American lists, but only a couple.
>
>I can't see this kind of agreement having any kind of force in UK law.
>Suppose, for example, that a paper publisher was to include, as part of its
>commissions, a clause that stated that the writer was responsible for any
>potential libel... it wouldn't wash.

You could well be right. I'm no legal-eagle, perhaps someone could
enlighten us on what would happen if a guest on a TV/radio talk show
slandered or libeled a 3rd party. Would the broadcaster be liable, or the
guest, or both?

I'm not sure a mailing list could constitute a publication as such, in fact
legal-wise I personally think it would be wrong to consider it a
publication. New media semantics...great! I suspect at some point there
will be some sort of legal precedent set...gulp! Financially speaking, I
suspect it's a bit of a red herring anyway!

Toodle Pip

Sam
Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com
ICQ Pager: 4561042