Subject: Re: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:24:15 +0100

Felix Velarde said:

>Just a thought, but on the subject of moderators getting sued, surely
>that would imply that a trad journalist should indemnify a newspaper
>against the consequences of dodgy (technical term) copy...

As a former business press editor I can say with some authority that the
reverse is normal practice. Publishers indemnify their editors and other
journalists and some times train them in media law in order to keep the cost
of litigation down.

In my experience most successful actions against publishers are as a result
of badly researched and inaccurate stories or lack of training of the
editor/journalist in media law.

My view is that those engaged in providing information over the Internet
should be trained in editorial skills in order to avoid this kind of
problem.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan