Subject: RE: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Lockett, Nick
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:21:32 +0100

> As I said in
> a previous message, the occasions when I have seen publications get into
> legal trouble has almost always been as a result of unprofessional
> journalism, eg a writer takes a juicy telephone allegation (known as a
> "heavy breather") and writes a "great" story on the basis of it without
> actually checking the facts of the matter. The subject of the allegation
> (which might or might not be true) threatens court action and the publishing
> company settles for a large sum, out of court. The reason for this is that
> the writer can show no evidence to back up the allegation.

[Lockett, Nick] Backs up entirely my eperience when libel reading
for newspapers

But the only way he will minimise the risk is to ensure that members of this
list abide by guidelines as to what can and can't be said. I would also
recommend professional and legal indemnity insurance to cover the risk.

[Lockett, Nick] Surely he knows a friendly lawyer he can privately
e-mail and ask whether this is a suitable comment?

Nick Lockett
Sidley & Austin