Subject: Re: UKNM: money / drain
From: Edd Dumbill
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 22:27:07 +0100

Hello all.

To my mind, there's a good reason why there aren't any FMCG sites of any
use -- few users would ever want them. It's a bit like asking why there
aren't there any popular mainstream magazines/tv shows/newspapers run by
a consumer brand.

Sure, a site may be have good branding etc, as Leslie mentioned Pepsi -
you can brand as well as you want, but if nobody's reading then
nothing's being established.

Publishing (to have an effective website for getting return visits,
publishing - or providing a service - is what you have to be doing) is
just not core business for them.

The company/brand web site needs to be there for a variety of
utilitarian reasons, but I just don't believe in it as a major part of a
marketing strategy.

Surely what makes sense for the brands is to buy ad space/sponsorship on
web publications that users actually do find useful/interesting and that
are connected in some way if possible with the product they're offering.

And, to be honest, I can't even see that that is going to be that
effective when taken in the context of a complete campaign. I know the
UK net audience is growing but the proportion of the target market
represented by net users for these kind of products isn't huge.

So what will work, anyway? It's not going to be banners. More likely
to be sponsorship IMHO. I'd be saving those marketing $$$ for
interactive TV and some of the other exciting developments (cf. the
thread on gaming).

I for one just want to _eat_ chocolate, not spend minutes wasting my
phone bill looking at animated Smarties.

regards

--
Edd Dumbill ------/ a new media consultant, writer & technologist /--
| Director, Useful Information Company <http://usefulinc.com>
| Internet Director, Pharmalicensing <http://pharmalicensing.com>
: UK voice/msg: +44 702-093-6870 UK fax: +44 870-164-0230