Subject: UKNM: Loyalty Cards etc.
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:44:19 +0100

I guess I am a teensy bit cynical about Loyalty Cards. After all, I have
been in Marketing for a little too long considering my tender age (not
supplied).

I shopped regularly at Tesco's because it suited me and I decided not to
bother getting a loyalty card - the only Junk mail I like to receive are the
seed packs that are sent to me (i.e. one of our mailings / one of our 'list
rentals').

I got married this year and my wife (wearing the trousers at the time!) said
that she wanted a loyalty card for Tesco's. I knew what it was all about,
but I did it anyway - they've got all our personal data and information and
track us, we now shop at Tesco's so we can rack up a ridiculously measly 1%
saving. WOW! 1%!!! You shouldn't have.... no really, don't bother.

We have spent, since getting married, over �1000 at Tesco's and I have the
PRIVILEGE of getting �10 back. Astonishing, the generosity is
UNDERwhelming... now, where's my Yellow Pages, ... Supermarkets .....
Wal-M... oooops, Asda, aaaah that's where you are.

I think there should be a law against offering less than 5%.

Now Boots, on the other hand, are a little more considerate.

As for the flak that Jo's received. I don't mind her questions and don't
mind answering the occasional one although the 'Search Engines' one may have
come across as a little lazy!