Subject: UKNM: RE: UKNM: .uk domains now �5 for two ye ars!
From: Giles Turnbull
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:38:09 +0100

Kevin Rice wrote:

> I have been looking at various .uk domain registration sites and have found
> that the going rate (2yrs) seems to be approx �100. Now I'm no expert, but
> hasn't it been that price for quite some time?
>
> If Nominet is only charging 5 quid how come the discount isn't being passed
> on, or if it is, by who? Can anybody help me here.

Darn right. I challenged my current hosting company about this just last
week. I already pay for hosting, and all I wanted was a couple of new
domains mapped to the same space. All they were prepared to quote me was �80
+ VAT per .co.uk domain, saying the fee included hosting, mail forwarding,
blah blah.

When I pointed out I didn't _need_ those extras, I just wanted the domains;
and furthermore I could get 'em cheaper elsewhere (eg The Name
http://www.thename.co.uk), the company fell curiously silent.

--Giles