Subject: Re: UKNM: The truth about Santa Claus?
From: Lois Grayson
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:56:09 +0100

Well I think that's just about wrapped it up re Coke and Father Christmas
hasn't it?

Sam you wondered about what it's done for UKNM - I think it's done a lot.

We're all striving to establish our own space in a seemingly limitless new
environment. Whether we're offering a category creating new product/service
or a me-too no.2 in an embryonic category, we need to brand WELL to get
enough momentum going to survive (accepting of course that the offering
deserves to survive). That means understanding what it's all about - the
psychology, the importance of cultural context, the heuristics (I love that
word), the mechanics of brand evolution, the nuances created by variations
of language and colour, the emotional as well as rational propositions. The
Coke/FC case study is a classic from all these perspectives and I could
deconstruct it (drunk in a pub of course) for hours and keep myself (albeit
no-one else) amused.

(Yes there are other ways to keep yourself amused for hours but that truly
is off topic)

Using the list to look into stuff like that might inspire us to dedicate
sufficient time and resources to do the branding bit properly before we get
carried away with the marcomms - and hence achieve something that'll still
be around years later and still be as significant as the Coke brand
undeniably is. In the understandable rush to market it's an easy trap to
fall into to make do with a snowflake brand 'just to get started '. It's
also ultimately a waste of time and money. Immutability is a fine
destination. You don't get there in 5 minutes by Tube.

Lois

PS Oh and has the person who thought the NMA article confused brand and
image ever heard of the phrase brand image?