Subject: Re: UKNM: Customer retention
From: Fiona Campbell-Howes
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:57:21 +0100

>>How do you identify the bad customers without removing any of the good
ones?<<

Client of mine did some research recently into big clicks 'n' mortar blue
chips, none of whom had worked out how to answer this question properly,
including the mightily customer-centric [insert name of successful
phone-based bank].

It's all about measuring "customer lifetime value" and "share of wallet",
theoretically. Trouble is, no one has worked out how to do this, with the
possible exception of Barclays and its infamous fruit-based customer
deselection strategy (which going by its latest efforts appears to apply to
anyone who lives in a rural or semi-rural area and doesn't have internet
access.)