Subject: Re: UKNM: iTV and games sites
From: lgrayson
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:02:55 +0100

Unable to keep my mouth shut any longer (a problem faced by most of the
Grayson clan), I feel compelled to throw my entirely biased and one-sided
commentary into the fray.

I saw it mentioned earlier that www.won.net was a US site. That's partly
true, but if your browser has UK settings, then this will re-route you to
http://uk.won.net, the UK-run arm of the organisation, where you can access
a range of online single- and multi-player games that are both free and
CD-based (like Q3A, Unreal Tournament, etc)

That's all about to change. Vivendi (the company that owns us, half our
water supply, Havas Interactive, a lot of telecoms companies and, most
recently, Universal Pictures) has bought PrizeCentral.com and amalgamated
the loyalty and prize redemption elements of this property into a new
brand - Flipside.com

The US Flipside.com has gone live already, but the Europeans have no
intention of following the style, presentation or editorial content of this
new site. Mainly because it looks really bad and does a lot of things we'd
rather it didn't.
Which is why we've been working our collectives off on the UK version. We go
live with the Beta of Flipside UK at the end of this month. It will be
hosted on European servers, it will provide localised game content, and
it'll have UK-specific editorial.

It's really looking quite good so far. But don't take my word for it, take a
look for yourselves at the beginning of October. Just as before, the servers
will check your browser settings and re-route you to the UK site when you
type in www.flipside.com

Er. That's it for now. Thanks for listening.

Laurence Grayson
Associate Editor
Flipside UK