Flasher Archive

[Previous] - [Index] [Thread Index] - [Previous in Thread] [Next in Thread]

Subject: Re: Quicktime 3 opinions?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:20:14 +0100

At 10:13 AM 3/31/98, Wayne Townsend wrote:
>QT 3 is out. How does this affect Flash authors? At all? A lot?

Not much, at least in the present, from what I can see.

>Maybe John D, or Jon G., or someone else in authority from MM would care to
>comment about integrating Flash content into QT3 ala RealPlayer 5. Or why
>it isn't integrated since QT3 is supporting, what, 30+ formats?

eh, I don't have much to say myself, but I do know that QT3 has been in
development for quite some time, and various teams at Macromedia have been
working with it.

You can certainly use QT3 as a universal file translator if you wish...
reads a lot of stuff.

It will take awhile to establish a base of QT3 users, with both system
software and browser plugins. Could be some attractions there in the
future, but will take awhile to establish.

>Who are the vector competitors in QT3? I found one on a developer list
>(Electrifier Pro http://www.larisoftware.com) How does that thing compare
>to Flash?

Lari's had Lightning Draw since there was SmartSketch. I'm looking forward
to examining Electrifier Pro when it goes beta, myself... from some demos
it looks like it has some nice QT3 facilities.

>So, tell us the story MM, and other developers who know, what's your view?

For myself, the big issues will be to spread the word to *NOT* uninstall
QTW 2.1.2. Existing PC applications work with QTW2 and won't recognize QT3.
(On the Mac it doesn't matter, but on Windows you'll need to *add* QT3
rather than *replace* with QT3.)

Director and Authorware users will soon have an Xtra available to use QT3
system extensions on both Mac and Win, and to take advantage of a few of
the new features QT3 offers.

I'm anticipating two year's worth of "I installed QT3 and now I can't see
the CD" posts, myself.... ;)

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/