Subject: Re: streaming flash audio
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:50:29 +0100

At 6:55 PM 3/31/98, Roy Pardi wrote, of using the Flash Asset Xtra in Director:
>I think I will try an approach where the artists
>import the sound in flash, use it to animate to, then strip it out when
>they export the .swf file. This way they can tweak and adjust in one app.
>This way it should be close, and I can use the cuepoints for timing
>correction.

I hear you; sounds good. If the animators synch to their low-res sound at a
sustainable frame rate, and if the Flash sprite is set in lock-synch to
Director frames, then it should be pretty much
what-they-hear-is-what-they-get.

The other approach would be to set either the Flash animation or the sound
as the master, and use Lingo to slave one to the other. If there's one long
sound then it would likely be the master, and its cuepoints would tell
Director to tell Flash to go to particular frames. (If the audio was of
many small sounds then the Flash animation could be the master, sending
messages to Director when certain segments are played, and so triggering
the appropriate sounds.)

(Background for lurkers: The Flash Asset Xtra can play Flash movies in
Director. Your Flash piece can send messages out to Lingo in a way similar
to FSCommand in browsers, and the Flash movie can also be controlled from
Lingo too. Director has built-in hi-fi streaming audio using an MPEG II
Layer 3 type compression scheme.)

Sidenote: If you'll have the audio's cuepoints telling Lingo when to go to
different parts of the Flash movie, then the animator can sort of "label"
different parts with frame events in Flash that send the name of the label
to Lingo. When you first run through the piece in Director Lingo can catch
these events and build a property list of label:frameNum correspondences,
so that it knows which Flash frame should be displayed when it gets which
audio cuepoint message. I've stored such label lists in the Flash
castmember's script for reuse during playtime.

But it sounds like you're already 'way ahead of me on that one, Roy.... ;)

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette