Subject: Re: thank you (Buttons)
From: Marcantonio Magnarapa
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:27:12 +0100

Hi John,

Thank you for your explanation. Here are a few more questions :)

At 12.05 02/04/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Unfortunately if you had placed the old symbol or dysfunctional button
>in multiple places, the new button instances will have to be positioned
>into place one by one.

I must admit I can't manage positioning in Flash that well. Many times I
end up aligning things by hand. In the Symbol Editing window, for instance,
the Align dialog doesn't work when you try to align the object in the
center of the page, although it allows to set alignment between objects.

Alignment, moreover, is somehow different from the one I'm used to in, say,
Corel products. In such products, all objects are aligned to -one- of them,
the one you decide. Flash instead places all objects on an average line
between all the objects. The result is, I often cannot properly align
things on my page. Let a drawing aid my poor English (make sure you're not
using a proportional font):

before after

<o> o o o
Corel Alignment o

<o>
Flash Alignment o o o o

(in the first case, the objects are aligned on the horizontal line
where the main object resides. In the second one, they are all placed
on the average horizontal line between the objects).

Another problem I am facing right now is that I created a button symbol and
I placed it on the timeline. I have activated the tweening, but.. how do I
control the tweening behaviour? With a normal symbol, you doubleclick on it
and the tweening properties dialog appears (brightness, tint, and so on).
With buttons instead you get the Action dialog. I'm lost ;)

>If you are going to place a symbol multiple times, first determine if
>you need it to be a button.

Got it :)

Bye,
Marcantonio