Subject: RE: Fading Out
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:11:16 +0100

At 1:51 AM 4/15/98, David Williamson wrote:
>this is somthing that has been worrying me since we
>got the first ALPHA of Flash 3, we all know how tempting it is to put a
>drop shadow behinde everything in Photoshop. lets not let the
>transparenct effect in F3 have a similar problem. IE the viewer just
>watching a movie and saying "oh look its another flash 3 movie running
>like a dog with 2 legs. Nice shadow effects thoug, wonder how they were
>done."

Very good point, David, and I'll echo Bob James on the echo... it's
important to keep the page responsive.

I remember that when Director Shockwave first hit the web people were
putting up half-meg media files and then wondering why it took so long to
start, and *that* perception stayed around for quite awhile.

Some pages will naturally be designed for audiences with fast processors.
But a mass-audience site still requires testing on the minimum target
playback machine. Those old clunker computers in the corner still come in
handy.... ;)

jd