Subject: Re: Wired on FLASH
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:31:04 +0100

At 6:19 PM 4/16/98, jampack wrote:
>Postscript is non-proprietary by its very nature it is not binary,
>so anyone can write postscript if they want to.
>
>I do understand that binary doesn't have to mean proprietary, but it
>usually does. And binary still put users at a step further away from the
>data. For example, the tiff format is not proprietary -- Aldus/Adobe
>makes it public, but in reality none of us would actually edit .TIF
>images directly as the format is too complex to understand or even edit
>directly, a program of has to handle the data.

Sorry, I'm still not sure where we differ yet, regrets. From your post, I'm
wondering whether perhaps you didn't pick up on the news this week that the
binary Flash delivery format is now openly described, and published, and
available for use by other tool vendors, and has been submitted to
standards bodies too? Might this be the cause of the conversation here...?

>The right interface is very important .. I've just started using some
>CAD programs that finally do things the way I want to work. Before that
>I never felt like they were worth the effort. So I guess that's why I
>want a more open animation standard, I'm hoping someone else will
>provide similar animation RESULTS as flash but with an interface that
>feels more inviting to my way of working.

This makes me also wonder whether we're both on the same page... if you
like Corel-style interfaces, then Corel's certainly welcome to export .SWF
from their tools. The Flash file format is open and published, just as
PostScript is.

Am I close to the core of the concern here...?

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette