Subject: Re: message for Macromedia....
From: Geoffrey J. Swenson
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:12:33 +0100

David Mendels wrote:

> (bias alert on the following)
>
> IMHO the comparison is hard to make. ImageReady is a utility for
> optimizing images and creating gif animations from Photoshop generated
> work. Fireworks is a complete tool for the creation *and* production of
> graphics and gif animations/rollovers for the Web.
>
> Try this in ImageReady. Can you import Illustrator or FreeHand art and
> edit it? Or try this: Have a text block with multiple fonts or styles? Or
> try this: Put a drop shadow on some text. Change the third word in the
> sentence. Does the drop shadow recreate itself to the new text? Or this:
> create a multi-state button complete with Javascript? Or try also making
> some real comparisons in the quality and final size of images or animations
> compressed with an adaptive palette in each product...several users in the
> news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks have done this comparison
> and so far (both products are *beta*) the output from Fireworks seems to be
> favored.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the support of the open Flash format annoucement...
>
> -David
> Macromedia

But I can do all of that with Corel 8 (except for maybe the Javascript
for the multi-state button) and get a decent inteface as well. And
better control over the graphics. I still think Fireworks doesn't have a
good niche ... it really doesn't do anything I can't do better with
other tools. Fireworks may be more useful to new users who don't yet
know how to use Freehand or Corel Draw. And there is a certain value to
the way it supplies some
expertise (you have to know what you're doing in Corel Draw to get the
optimizations you need for the colors).

But for me, I'm getting better with undestanding what the internet
requires, and I'm finding
javascript sites places that will write Javascript for me for free, so
I'm staying pat
with CorelDraw.

--
Geoffrey J. Swenson